Overall, I really liked The Book Thief movie. When I first saw it, I kept on checking the time so that I could figure out what scenes weren't in the movie. Personally, I absolutely loved the movie. It hit all the important points, and the story wasn't sabotaged (like for example, Avatar the Last Airbender).
The casting was also spot on.
So was the setting of the book.
I JUST WANT TO WATCH IT AGAIN, even though I will be shedding tears and blowing my nose. I forgot to bring tissues with me to the movie, I cannot make this mistake when watching The Fault in Our Stars.
Anyways, here's a list of what I thought about The Book Thief movie:
- They portrayed Death in the movie!
- The music suited the movie, until the last scene, which seem a little too jolly for me to be in the background of the ending scene.
- They kept the part where Rosa pretends to scold Liesel, just so she can tell her that Max is awake and alive
- The character of Max!
- Geoffrey Rush fits Hans perfectly as well.
- Why, oh why, did they leave out the part about Max writing Liesel the book about the word shaker?
- Most parts were cut out, but it is a 500 page book, so I can't blame them. Like, for example, the apple stealing, and when Liesel leaves bread for the Jews.
- Rudy is adorable.
- The scene where Liesel, Max, and Hans and Rosa had a snowball fight in the basement.
- I cried a lot at the end, even though I knew what was already going to happen.